Thursday, December 3, 2009

My Favorite Bike and Fast Salsa Chicken Casserole




Some would call it a beater. It's not the most expensive bike, and certainly not the newest, but the old converted Cannondale hardtail mountain bike is the pony who will never be put out to pasture.  It is destined to be ridden into the ground like Black Beauty's friend Ginger.  It's my sidewalk bike, my sure footed ride to the ATM or the beach.  Knobbies long ago banished, 1.25 slick tires make it agile and fast.  It has just the right amount of suspension for dropping off an inconvenient curb or ducking off road to escape close calls with passing rear view mirrors.  It's the first choice for a solo fifty miles, or racked and packed with running shoes for the ten mile warm up ride to Wickham park for a trail run.   There are eight bikes in the Florida room right now.  This is my street bike.

Yesterday I had a long list of chores and departure for the bike shop in less than an hour.  (Work, bah humbug.)  Scanning the list of chores, looking for a way to both ride and cross off at least one other thing...  Yes!  Zoomed out for a quick 11 mile round trip to the the bank and back.  A 25 knot wind provided the Florida "hill" factor.  

I was in such a hurry, I even forgot to take anything out of the freezer for dinner later.  Therefore, the attempt to recreate a campsite casserole served to us by Sailor, one of the best organic cooks I have ever met. The key was the quick thaw Publix Greenwise chicken tenders.


Fast Chicken Salsa Casserole

In a large frying pan, cook up a pound of chicken - chicken tenders are fastest!  Shred with a fork as you go.

Pour in a jar of salsa.

Add a can of well rinsed black beans.

I always look for ways to get more veggies, so I poured in a cup each of frozen corn kernals and green beans.

If it's too watery you can either let simmer awhile to thicken or dip out the liquid.  I gave in to the late hour and dipped.
   
Pour the whole mess into a casserole - top with shredded cheddar, and bake til it's brown on top.  I left it in at 350 degrees about a half hour.   Serve with a salad, and tortilla chips.

 It smelled so great, and with the late hour, we dug in before I remembered to take a picture!  :(  But I did ask Sailor for her recipe so I will make the real thing next time and take a photo before it's demolished, I promise.

(It occured to me to actually ask Sailor for her recipe last night, but she entertains in the evenings so often I was afraid to call and interupt a probable Wednesday night dinner party.  I am asking her for the recipe as my birthday present - yes, it's today - so I am sure she will be happy to comply!)

Good food.  Power to the pedal. 

1 comment:

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...