Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Things we Miss. And Things we Won't.

Missing Cat
"Gypsy"
Gray/Brown Tiger-Striped Manx (No Tail)
Last Seen: 12/04/10




The flyers are printing.  In a minute I will go out and stuff them into the mailboxes on our street. 

Normally if Gypsy, our little explorer, stays out to play for a day, it's not a big deal.  But Gypsy is also a warm weather girl, burrowing into the quilts anytime the temps go below 80.  There's no way she would intentionally stay out for an entire 30 degree night.

The flyers are done.  I've walked the streets calling KittyKittyKitty.  Posters are next.  And a tour of the animal shelter.

While there are too few cats in the house, there are too many of some other things - namely bikes.

How can there be too many bikes, you ask?  Everyone needs at least three bikes!  

But 2010 was a big year for bike acquisition.

We gained one road bike, 2 mtn bikes, and got back the old Klein hardtail that I had loaned to the Chick's Hubby.  4 extras in an already full stable.

My favorite of the old bikes, the Santa Cruz, sold quickly.  It gave me such a pang, I haven't even tried to sell the others.  But with nine bikes in the living room, and a moving day on the horizon, it's time.

I know.  I promised.  You would never see advertizing on this blog.  I would never use it to sell stuff.  

I meant sell stuff, commercially, OK? 

Besides, we're practically giving these bikes away.

  
For Sale
Klein Hardtail
Pro Pulse - 1999
medium frame
$150


My first off-road ride!  Cost me a $1000 and tax, back in 99. 

The guys checked it over at the bike shop last month and said I could probably get $200.  The shock feels good, it shifts OK, and it's wearing the sweet Swamp Thing tires I won at the Hannah Park Xterra a couple years ago...  This is the bike that saved itself from the murky green quarry at Carter Park so I didn't have to.  Somebody hurry and give me $150 for it.  I'm getting that pang.


For Sale
Cannondale F2000 hardtail
2000
medium frame
$275

wearing slicks 
26 X 2s available


The Cannondale. 

MFB, my favorite bike. 

MFB cost $1900 in Atlanta in 2000, and lived at the crashpad for riding Georgia hills between trips. 

In the years since Ironman training wore out my love of road biking, this pony has taken me everywhere, and with enough speed, that I started leaving the Postal 5200 at home, even for road rides. 

Before I ever heard of slicks, I rode MFB on the Mt Dora Century and a Horsefarm or two.  What better satisfaction can you get from a mountain bike than passing the very same roadie who had so darkly warned at the start of Mt. Dora, "You'll never make it on that bike!"  

A little honesty in advertising here. 

I loved this bike and I rode it.  A lot. 

The shifters are OK but they need de-gumming, and I devalued it by replacing the once state-of-the-art hydraulic brakes with mechanical.  Probably not the most rational decision, but I got really p.o.'d when the brake cable caught on a branch and spewed fluid all over, leaving me twenty goopy miles to ride without a rear brake.

The Cannondale is still stealthy, though.  Furnace black, nicely centered front shock (pre-lefty), and 2 X 9.  I remember it weighing in at 19 lbs before I started hanging my junk all over it. 

Speaking of good junk, I might be persuaded to throw in the chrome "I Heart My Bike" bell, but sorry, the raspberry pink waterbottle holder stays with me!


For Sale
Trek Fuel 100
2003
small frame 15.5"
$1000?  $750?  $500?


This one is Popeye's.  Make him an offer.  OCLV Carbon, rock shock SIDs, Bontrager Race Lites, and XTR all the way around.  If it has tales to tell, you'll have to ask Popeye.    

So.  Feel free.  Make an offer.  Give some bike a good home.

If you see Gypsy, on the other hand...

We miss that little fuzz ball and we're keeping her forever.

If we ever find her again, that is.

(Lord, please help us find her.)




4 comments:

  1. I hope you find her, I know it would suck to lose one of ours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. She's adorable. I hope you find her soon. Love that little tail. xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks guys. No luck so far, but not giving up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please Gypsy find your way home for Christmas. The Christmas present come true.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...