Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Winter Solstice



Oops, slept through the eclipse!  But the sunrise was nice. 

It's the Winter Solstice.  The first day of winter.  The shortest day of the year.  The dark has done it's worst and light begins to inch it's way back into our lives.  A day to celebrate!

Half the long nights are gone, barely noticed in the head on rush to Christmas.  Half to go, though.  The tough half, the half that contains actually getting back on the workout track. 

And we are ready.  New lights.  Sweat wicking underlayers.  Toe warmers, for Pete's sake. 

Some practice for San Felasco is due.  Up there, it's not the mileage that's the challenge.  Or the terrain. 

What is it about The Tour de Felasco?  Honest to god,  I have been more comfortable outside all day in a Syracuse blizzard. 

Riding here on the coast, in the rain, if it freezes again, might sorta simulate January conditions in Alachua.  If we can find some knee deep slushy puddles to soak our feet in, and maybe some frozen mud ruts to ride over, a flake of snow or two...

Ok, so you work with what you've got. 

One way to intensify a cold winters ride (and conduct clothing layer experiments) is to ride at night. 

This is the perfect week to start. 

We gotta lotta night right now.   





The new lights are in place.  One on helmet, one on handlebars. 

We like the new lights so far.  Serfas "True".  250 lumens.  Brighter, stronger, and cheaper than the old stuff.  And they only take 3 to 4 hours to charge instead of 12.  Good for us forgetful types.  We don't have to remember to plug them in before the morning coffee. 

The new red tail lights are Serfas too.  Super bright.  Flashing.  One on the bike, one on the back of the helmet.  Overkill?  Not really.  It's dangerous enough riding around here in the daytime.

Killer is GO. 

Lights are GO. 

Clothing is...  I don't know.

We went shopping on Sunday.  

Ah, Christmas shopping. 

The perfect gift for others?  Totally elusive. 

The perfect gift for yourself?  Jumping out at you from every isle.  

Popeye has been reading up on dressing for winter.  And I have to admit he seems to have it down. 

Popeye is often cold, but he doesn't get the energy suckage of whole body shaking and shivering.  His fingers and toes don't go so numb that shifting is clunky and brake levers impossible.  (Remember Tim Conway as the dentist with a shot of novacaine in his hand?  Not too cool on a mountain bike, either.)   

So, for the first time in my life, I actually listen to clothing advice from a man.

Layers:  A tight, inner sweat-wicking layer to start.  A looser layer over that, and a wind barrier on top. 

Ok, loose I got, and windbreakers too.  What's missing is tight.

Popeye advises a hug-you-so-tight-you-can't-breathe shirt.  I hate it!  I am not good with tight anything.  But what I am doing so far isn't working, so I buy two.  One sleeveless, one long sleeved.

The Ride. 

Suited up. 

Lights are GO. 

Killer is GO. 

Clothing: tight, loose, windbreaking.  Let's GO!

OK, so I am cold.  I think I will warm up, but it never happens.

Another thing that never happens.  Shaking.  I feel cold and uncomfortable, but not to the point of shivering.  My hands do go numb, but that's probably because I forgot to bring my new long fingered gloves home from the shop.  The really amazing thing is, I am not wet.  Anywhere.  The sweat wicking tight layer works!  I am dry for once.  My teeth are not chattering.  It's a real eye opener.

An eye opener is a good thing.  There's some cool stuff to see out there in the December night!




So, if you forget the last minute shopping, that's OK.

Just don't forget to charge your lights.

And think warm thoughts.

And wear your shirt tight...

1 comment:

  1. Luckyyyyyyyyyy.... my teeth chatter when it's like 70 degrees. Can't help it. The other day I'm listening to a sales pitch at a gym and trying to look non-homeless enough to be there, but it's so cold I'm shivering and rocking back and forth with my hood up like a psychopath. Kept waiting for her to stop her pitch and offer me some change.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...