Friday, December 4, 2009

KING RANCH CHICKEN - SAILOR STYLE

Good Morning!  Did I say that Sailor was an organic cook?  Well, everyone makes an exception for a traditional dish, right?  And little did either of us know how famous this dish is in Texas.  She sent me a link to Neiman Marcus.  Guess what!  They will send you the casserole -- for $80!!!  I say make it yourself if you don't mind going off your healthful eating plan for a meal.  Because this version tastes GREAT!

And here it is, in her own words:

King Ranch Chicken

Boil 4 chicken breasts (save broth) I've done 6 chicken breasts for large casserole

2 large to med onions chopped

1 bell pepper chopped (can use any color)

fresh garlic or whatever you have (1 teaspoon?)

1 can cream of mushroom soup (use lower fat/sodium)

1 can cream of chicken (low stuff)

Approximately 1 can of the saved broth

About one pound or more of cheese (use 2% Velveeta the small box(yikes but it's good in this) mixed with some other kind of mexican cheese) This is where I really vary the recipe to the right consistency)

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/2 tea chili powder

12-18 soft tortillas

Break up or cut chicken breasts in small pieces

sauté onion, pepper, garlic in a bit of olive oil or whatever.........or can use a little broth if you don't want to use oil (I use a larger pan for this so I can add everything after I sauté the pepper/onion

Add chicken, spices soups & broth to onion/peppers and heat

Add cheese. I don't add all the broth to the mixture at first as sometimes it will be too soupy, This is where I "wing" the recipe. heat through but you don't have to bring to boil or simmer.

Cut tortillas in fourths.

Use a little oil in a teflon skillet and slightly cook the tortillas until soft and some a little crunchy. You can do a couple layers at a time and just flip them or move around in the skillet.

Pam a large baking dish.

Line the bottom of dish with tortillas

Add a layer of chicken about 1/3

Add layer of tortillas and continue until all is used up. I put a layer of tortillas as the last layer and top that with shredded cheese.

If you're cooking this ahead of time you can not bake it until the next day. I tightly seal it with saran wrap or foil and leave in refrig if I'm serving next day or freezer if it's several days until serving.

I serve with salsa. I read that most recipes call for tomatoes and I'm sure it would be good. I think I did the rotel tomatoes one time. You can really play with this recipe and omit or add whatever you like that has a mexican taste. I think Cilantro would be a good addition if you like it. The tortillas soak up a lot of the mixture so you don't want it too thick. If mine turns out a little thin I just add more tortillas as I layer and that takes care of that.

I also use 6 chicken breasts for a large casserole and just adjust the other ingredients. You can't go wrong playing with the ingredients...........less cheese or more cheese..........etc.

The other recipe I do in the camper a lot is with lean ground beef. I basically do it the same sometimes layering the recipe with salsa as I do it in a big skillet on the stove or the dutch oven on the fire. Sometimes I add black beans and rice to the layering......and have added it to the King Ranch Chicken layering but since I usually serve it with black beans and rice on the side at home. Camping, everything goes in one pot! One time I didn't even fry the tortillas and it was fine......a little softer but good. One time I used doritos.......a little salty but fine.

It's a fun recipe and goes good with beer.

Thank you, Sailor!  I gotta admit, I am thinking it better be light beer... combined with an all day ride?  Hmmm, that's not such a bad idea!

Ride on!

2 comments:

  1. If you plan to present this dish as "King Ranch" it MUST include jalapeno peppers. Sailor will occasionally serve without to the gastronomically handicapped who prefer chicken casserole, but to be authentic, include several washed, seedless, and chopped jalapenos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since I mumber myself among the gastronomically handicapped, I'm glad you pointed out the appropriate course of action.
    Raw,seeded,chopped it is!
    Thanks CapnBligh

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...