Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The Beer Can Scramble


Tuesday is the only day of the week that I regret giving up the paceline. 

It's not that I miss the road bike that much - not at all, actually.  What is difficult about Tuesday is riding alone.  Any other day of the week it's fine to be solo, but Tuesdays, when nearly everyone else I know has taken to the pavement of Palm Bay...    

Still.  I am stubborn.  I am no longer a roadie, dammit.  But what is a mountain bike aficionado to do?  Especially on a Tuesday?

OK, so create a new ride.  A fun ride.  A ride to bring together those rugged individualistic few who prefer their cycling dark and dirty.  

But how to attract mountain bikers when you live in a town flat as a pancake?  There's only one way I can think of.  

Beer. 

Either lots of beer.  (Not a good idea for a week night.) 

Or free beer.  

Although I do not own a Stand Up Paddleboard, I wish I did.  Not because they look like fun.  Seriously.  They have got to be more fun than they look. 

No, I wish I owned a SUP because of the Beer Can Races.   

According to the facebook page, the paddlers meet at the causeway on Wednesday night.  Each one brings a beer for the pot.  Racing ensues. Winner takes home the pot. 

What an excellent idea!  

But would the more eclectic off road crowd go for a race?  And certainly no mountain biker I know is interested in watching their beer go home with someone else.  

But still, it's such an awesome idea... 

How about... a beer can race in reverse?  A race where everybody wins.  And everybody goes home happy.  (Although some might go home a little happier than others.) 

I run the idea by Popeye and he instantly comes up with the perfect name.

The Beer Can Scramble

Tuesdays.  6PM  Brook Hollow Trailhead.

Bring a beer for the cooler, as good or as awful as you like.  Last guy in gets last pick.


And speaking of last, just one last thought... 

Could pay to be nice. 

After all, the beer you get could be your own.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...