Tuesday, May 21, 2013

The arrival of Lady Liberte.


If it weren't bad luck to change a boat's name, I would change this one to Plain Jane.

Catalina 22.  A dime a dozen.  Boats just like her on any canal around.  White hull, white sails, black sailcover.   A clorox bottle with a mast and a swing keel. 

In other words, the perfect boat!

In fact, if she is distinctive in any way, it is that she is not too rough.   And since it's been raining all day, it's easy to tell that the cabin is completely dry.  I know.  Hard to believe, right?  So I waited for the next burst of rain and looked again.

  



See what I mean?  Not too shabby for a 1982.  Literally.  Most boats this age have been rode hard and put up wet.  I suspect this one has too.  But she seems OK in spite of it. 

Which, of course, means she is going to be our kind of boat.



Looks awfully little down there, doesn't she? 

No galley, no roller furling, not even a porta potty.   

But we've got big plans. 

And, for now, a bucket.


2 comments:

  1. All it takes is a boat and the plan begins! A Catalina 22 was our first boat "serious" boat. I wondered why anyone wold want a boat bigger than that! I loved that boat. She was probably a '72 and she did have a "pull out galley"...tiny sink (maybe a 2 gallon water tank) and a very small one burner stove. Plans starter swirling in our heads and you know the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do know the rest of the story. Now you have the beautiful Orca to sail wherever in the world you care to go!

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...