Monday, May 13, 2013

Hammerhead Report - Interruption by Hit and Run


No, the hit and run wasn't at the Hammerhead 100.

The hit and run was the Tuesday after the Hammerhead.  The day I started to write a blog post about the Hammerhead.  

This was the view in my kitchen when I walked in from my ride that Tuesday night.


                                              

 
I think Popeye is very lucky to be standing in the kitchen at all.


Rectangular whack on the calf from the hit of the passing boat trailer.   Road rash - leg, hip, shoulder, knuckles and elbow - from the immediate slam to the pavement.  Tattered jersey.  And shorts? What shorts? They are just plain gone on one side, clear up to the waistband.

The broken helmet was disturbing.   As was the headache.   And his pretty much constant consumption of Advil for the next couple weeks.

But most disturbing of all, is that a hit and run, with multiple witnesses, could be completely dismissed at the apparent whim of law enforcement.  


Basically the officer talked with the driver down the road and decided, since there was no damage to the boat trailer, there was no proof that it hit Popeye at all. 

I tell you what.  I was mad, and I wasn't even there. 

How about some flesh and blood proof? 

But then, who feels up to arguing with the police when you're standing on the side of the road with your shorts half gone, complete with road rash and the headache of your life.  I bet it feels like - well, like you barely have a leg to stand on, right?

It took several days, and a whole lot of calls and emails from witnesses (thank you so much to them!), but the FHP officer did decide to investigate further and issue a ticket after all.  Not for hit and run, and nothing to do with leaving three feet to pass.  As far as I can figure out it amounts to some sort of reckless driving.

Meanwhile, the headache's gone and the Advil supply has been replenished for next time.

Road rash takes a while to heal. 


Then comes the itchy stage...  

There ought to be a ticket just for that alone.   Yowser.




   

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...