Friday, February 19, 2010

Plum Good Syrup! Guinness Do and Redux Review.

The other day I saw a pancake recipe nearly identical to "New Fashioned Pancakes", only it was named "Oatmeal Cookie Pancakes". 

Darn!  I know I am eating virtually the same pancake this morning - but surely it would taste that much better if I had thought to name it after an oatmeal cookie!  

Even more regretable, I sure wish I had made more of that Molasses-Guinness syrup!  

Regrets are as easily dismissed as, "Hey, there's a plum in the fridge!"  Just one lonely little plum, but it's exactly enough for my one not-so-little pancake.

 
Plum Good Syrup

Per person:

One plum, chopped small
2 Tablespoons real maple syrup

Put the plum and the syrup in a bowl and microwave 2 minutes.

Smash the softened plum into the syrup.



(Quilter's note:  Wow.  Remember this gorgeous plum color when shopping for fabric next time. )

Of course you can always go with the tried and true blueberry, 


or a nice contrasting orange.



Today pancakes. 


Tomorrow the world! 

Well, ok, maybe not the world. 

But perhaps ice cream, cookies, poundcake, crepes, pork chops... 

Uh oh - evil thought - the Guinness syrup could be applied to all of the above as well!
  

 Plus the morning coffee!

In case anyone is interested i
The Cosmo Induced Guinness Valentine Food Challenge
tally to date: 

Guinness Broccoli-Cheddar Soup
Guinness-Molasses Syrup in coffee
Guinness-Molasses Syrup on pancakes
Beef and Guinness and Green Tomato Pie
slow cooker pork and potatoes with Guinness
Guinness pork tacos (from leftover slow cooker pork)
Chocolate Walnut Guinness cookies
Guinness-Molasses Syrup on ice cream




Truthfully, I'm more the Belgian-wheat-with-a-slice-of-orange-type.  All I really love about Guinness Draught is the amazing depth of it's color.  But even I have to admit that 7 out of these 8 were AWESOME.

The no-regrets review:

1)  Always find an extra yummy title for a recipe.

2)  If you've got more than one plum, make extra Plum Good Syrup.   

3)  And if you ever make just plum amazing Molasses-Guinness syrup, make more than a bit extra.  Try it on ice cream.  Put it in a pie.  (Just don't put it in my coffee.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...