Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I Don't Cotton To Solids. Quilter's High.

All right!  Finally a decent run in the park!  Must be the new Nikes...

Maybe it's the runners high, but my next stop, Boutique 4 Quilters is the best quilt shop anywhere, EVER, and it's right here in Melbourne.  ALL Batiks.  Hundreds of fabrics and not one solid.  

Besides the obvious good taste in fabric, the store greeters are superb.  Today's greeter, the store owner's golden retriever, trots to the door for a prompt and friendly hello.  (WalMart eat your heart out!)

Anita is with a fabric rep, so I get to peruse the rainbow of shelves for woven treasure all on my own, which is exactly the way I like it.

Spending weekends on the bike keeps me hopelessly out of the quilting loop.  I missed the quilt-a-thon last weekend.  The goal was  300 quilts for Haiti.  Anita said they exceeded the 300 by working in the shop and the empty storefront next door for 48 hours straight.  48 hours!  Wow!  I usually go buggy after about two.


Anita gives me her key to the adjoining store, and I let myself in for a look.  The visiting fabric rep catches up, and we tour the dim, vast space of the old Michael's store together.  The photo shows less than a quarter of what's hanging, and there's 2 more tables piled with quilts besides.  All to be picked up this week for transport to Haiti with a local doctor.


315 quilts in 48 hours.  Wow!  

Lest you think this looks like gentle, refined and ladylike fun, a caveat.

Do not enter the world of quilting lightly.

There is something one should know. 

About the fabric stash. 

Quilters are fabric addicts, and to sustain the high, there are only two rules:
  1. One must continuously search and acquire. 
  2. One can never have too much fabric. 
For some reason I am attracted to yellows lately.... but there's a really beautiful new red!  And a contrasting green... 

(See rule #2)

Back home with my treasure.  Wash.  Dry.  Iron. 

The fun begins - the fabric audition!



Cutting is next.  This project is going to be simple, and quick.  I feel like triangles!   

Mermaids - 2009
I am done with curves for awhile.


Mermaids - 2009
Don't feel like applique or messing with glittery paint.



Nice simple triangles, yeah...

So I put a new blade in the Olfa, 

(ALWAYS start a project with a new blade in the Olfa, unless you actually like tearing your hair out.)

 and I cut,
  and cut,
     and cut.

for what seems like 48 hours, but is probably 48 minutes.




And then the rain comes.  No sewing today.  Too gloomy. 

Hey now, I know what you're thinking!  I'm not that old!  I can see just fine!  But the colors aren't as true when the light is gray.  The final pairing of colors will have to wait for morning.

But, what a great day!  Surprise day off, runners high, fabric high, free quilt show.... 

Plus - it's Tuesday.

Biggest Loser night is Pizza Night around here! 

Depraved?  Perhaps.  But satisfying, oh so satisfying.




3 comments:

  1. There is nothing depraved about pizza! It is the food of the gods! Hurray for pizza! Anytime is pizza time!

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too, believe in pizza. Would I were a god! I would eat it everyday! Putting up the Biggest Loser Pizza post next...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't belive that many quilts in 48 hrs. What a high that must have been. Now I understand why you like to hang out at the quilt shop. Beautiful material and you do have an eye for the patterns and colors. LOVE the Mermaid quilts. I must see them the next time I'm at your house.
    You would be my Mother's dream daughter!

    Pizza looks yummy too. I should give up on whole wheat dough and stretch the white.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...