Saturday, February 6, 2010

I Saw A Sign. Gina's Pies are Square. Fartlek in the Park.

*Fartlek, which means "speed play" in Swedish, is a form of conditioning which puts stress mainly on the aerobic energy system due to the continuous nature of the exercise. The difference between this type of training and continuous training is that the intensity or speed of the exercise varies, meaning that aerobic and anaerobic systems can be put under stress. Most fartlek sessions last a minimum of 45 minutes and can vary from aerobic walking to anaerobic sprinting. Fartlek training is generally associated with running, but can include almost any kind of exercise.


How quickly the seasons change.

From December....



 To January....



To Yikes!  It's February???!



Gained 'em?  Lost 'em?  Gained 'em back?  Don't look sweet on any kind of seat?

Seems everyone I talk to is in the same scale boat.

Don't look at me!  I don't have the answer, I gained mine back too.  So many recipes, so little time!

Scout's not helping!  She sent me a very interesting pie recipe from a restaurant called Gina's Pies Are Square, which is located on a paved bike trail across Wisconsin. (Check out Scout's comment to find out how the Pie Man got his name.)    

Mmm, pie with Guinness.  Only Gina's pie with Guinness has molassas and chocolate chips too!  Yup, saving that one!  OK, so my beer glass may be half full, but leaner times are sure to be ahead.  Somewhere.  But when is one Guinness enough?  Or one kind of Guinness pie, for that matter?  

But oh yeah, it's February.  Brakes on the baking, at least for one day.  

Before I can think about tipping the scales any further I try to convince my chubby menisci to go for a run in the park.


You know how it is.  Fartleks happen. 


The knees just weren't having it.  The park run turned into a park  walk/run.  Not good.  

However, opportunity for intensity is everywhere, especially on a gloomy day when the park is nearly deserted.

A log to jump,
(and back again)

stairs to run,
(times ten)


fences to walk "tightrope style",
(OK, so I only get about ten feet and can't get it going again, leaving a challenge for the next time.)


And my personal favorite, picnic table hurdles.  Lots and lots of picnic table hurdles...


It's a fun hour, easier on the knees than a regular run, and I really hate to leave.  Because (as all runners know), the toughest part of a Fartlek* is admitting you did one.

Besides, when it comes right down to it, workouts may not be easy as pie, but they often end up being way more fun!




No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...