Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Graham's Swamp

There is no swamp in Graham's Swamp.  None that I saw, anyway.

But then, it's the dry season, and I was in fast company.  For the first few minutes.


Popeye, Krafty, and Ten, waiting for me back at the trailhead.
(Yikes, helmet hair after only one loop!)

Graham's Swamp is twenty minutes past Sugarmill.  And twenty times more fun.

On this bright cold day, after a week of rain, even the sandy climbs are perfect. 

Singletrack winds through an assortment of environments.  From shady, winding, pine needle'y singletrack, to the traction of crushed shell, leading both down hill and up dale. 


A girl rips by on descent.
Wearing Jane Fonda leg warmers?
Please, don't tell me they are coming back.



Some stretches make me think of the Ponderosa.
(Yes, the Ponderosa is real.  Or it used to be. 
I haven't ridden XTerra Tahoe since '03, so can't say for certain.
Could be condos by now.)

One moment I am reminded of Tahoe, with open pine forest and fine red dirt. 

The next moment brings a plunge down a surface of what could be crushed stone. 

Except there is a young couple on the pitch with a Little Rascals' dog and a big black bag.  They are picking up.. seashells? 

I glance down.  Full size whelk shells protrude from dark gray dirt.  Later, I see one in a tree.  An ancient version of a Timucuan landfill, perhaps.

Whatever it used to be, the mountain bike trail at Graham's Swamp is now one loopy swoopy 6.5 mile playground, fashioned both for the likes of me, and my faster friends. 

Boardwalks and bypasses, bridges and bailouts, contoured trail, and rocky leaps, keep the flow both perfect, and perfectly interesting.   






Up and over, or dirt on the right.
Your choice.


Help for a sandy climb.



Although by the third time around I'm feeling pretty confident, at the very end is a pair of board swoops with a banked landing.  I may be the only one to choose the bailout every time.




Cool!  Some guy catches air just before I put the phone away.


You know?  That really does look fun. 

Might just have to come back again next week.


Graham's Swamp:  I-95 north to SR 100.  East to Colbert Road.  Take a left on Colbert, and head north for a couple miles.  Trailhead on the left.  Bring a full Camelbak.  No water fountains, no restrooms!  But there is a park a little farther east on SR 100, right before the river bridge, that has both.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...