Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Bad Hair Day

Monday was predicted to be a Bad Hair Day.




It sure had the look when I went for a run.  (Poor old Wickham Park.  Burned one year, bulldozed the next.  But it keeps growing back.)  And a dismal day makes for good running. 

And boy, was it.  A bad hair day, I mean.  

Pounding, pelting, icy rain.  Wind gusting to 30 something.  Let loose before I could get all the way back to the car.  Took 2 days for the driver's seat to dry.  

So Pie Man and Scout were right in postponing their camping trip!

The POD for Sunday was to ride 25 miles down to Sebastian Inlet with Pie Man and Scout.  There, the plan was for them to set up their bike-camp for overnight, those lucky retirees.  We would have ridden back on our own for 50, and they would have ridden back on Monday after their overnight.

Would have.  Except for the Bad Hair Day prediction for Monday.  See, that's the thing about being retired.  They don't have to do everything on weekends, they can postpone until a good hair day comes along - say a Tuesday.  Or a Wednesday.



Look who I ran in to on my way back from the bank this (Wednesday) morning.  It's Pie-Man and Scout on their way to the inlet at last.  This is an equipment test for future long trips.  Panniers front and back.  45 lbs of stuff on board for him, 32 lbs for her.  Tent, sleeping bags, cook stove, food, and a variety of clothing for 2 days riding, and one overnight.  Pretty much the same stuff as for a week, just keep rinsing out clothes and replenishing food. 

Popeye doesn't get those weekday weather choices.  If we want a long ride, it has to be a weekend.

We still rode on Sunday, just not to the inlet.  The mountain bikes were ready to go.  Why not ride down and check out the Grapefruit Trails since we were on our own at the last minute? 

The Grapefruit Trails.  You never know what you're going to find down there.

Last time I was there, I was on foot, witnessing the ever so happy "Ed" and his bulldozer crew doing what they do best - "protecting" us bikers from ourselves.

http://bikeeatsleeprepeat.blogspot.com/2010/03/lagniappe-word-worth-travelling-to-new.html

Time to see what footholds have been regained by the bikers after the last deluge of destruction.

Sure enough, the BMX kids are there with bikes and shovels.  Tenacious!  We like that!

A good third of previously swoopy, shady trail has been bulldozed flat and left for dead.



Rebuilding resumed immediately.

There are still plenty of sweet spots left.







Long live the Grapefruit Trails!

Tally:  34 fat tire miles on-road.  Plus 6 off-road "playground" miles for Popeye, and 4 off-road for me.

SO worth the trip.

2 comments:

  1. Funny - I was in the grapefruit trails on Sunday too. Afternoon for me. Then went over and started the Ho Chi Min, but a pinch flat ended my ride when my pump would not seal :(. I know - I need to go tubeless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You were at GFT too? Maybe we need to start tweeting or whatever it's called..?

    Tubeless is easy! Even I can do it. Popeye can show you anytime. It'll save your ride.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...