Friday, May 28, 2010

The Fourth B is... Breakfast!

Around here, most days revolve around the holy trinity of exercise, eating, and sleeping. 

No particular order, except the humans of the household have to fit work in too.  

The cats have had the whole thing down from birth, of course.  

For instance, Gypsy has never read a Runners World Magazine or a single article on sports nutrition (although she may have sat on a few.)  But she does know that a generous portion of lean protein immediately following a vigorous workout is just plain purrfect! 


Working Out - Gypsy style

She also gets plenty of sleep.




Since Gypsy's "job" is to rid us of vermin, she manages to not only combine her work, her workout, and a restorative meal, but also have an extremely good time doing it. 

Definitely something to strive for!

Today the tree guy is taking down our beautiful but way-too-close-to-the-house queen palm.


With a little down time and the background buzz of a chainsaw, it's easy to dream up some great new workouts. 

But trying to fit work, workout, and meal into one giddy hour of over the top fun - that's hard! 

The workout part is easy.  There's always something you can do within an hour of the front door.   

Like a "B B & B" ride. 

Beach



Bridge



Bleachers


A mile or two along the beach is pure sightseeing, but it's a good warm up.

I know.  

We don't need no stinkin' mountains here in Florida! 

Bridge and bleacher repeats are our local hill substitutes.  At least there's a view! 

I leave the bike at the base of the bleachers, but next time I think I will hop off and carry it on my shoulder, ala the famous Richmond Xterra with 8 flights of stairs in the middle of the bike course.  (Only 3 weeks away!) 

Check out this video of Richmond:

I probably won't practice riding down the bleacher steps though. Yikes!

The BB&B is one of my favorite workouts.  

But I still haven't thought up a way to work, work out, and prep a meal at the same time, like my little at-home expert, Gypsy!

There are people who come close, though.

Often there is a group of women grunting out a boot camp in the park by the bleachers. 

Whenever I see them, I always make sure to ride nearby, smile, and wave, of course.  No one has ever waved back yet.  (Not even a little "salute".)  I try not to take it to heart.  I'm sure they would if they had a free hand...

The very next day after my last BBB&Boot Camp Flyby,  I happened to be included in an email invite to join in by the Hash Harriet who conducts the camp.  Now there is someone who has figured out how to combine her work and her workout!

Ah, if only I had time, I'd join you, Harriet! 

(Well, no, I probably wouldn't.)  

I am too busy trying to arrange my time according to my unique requirements - like a mad bout of bleacher running in bike shoes and helmet with a 29r on my shoulder. 

But it makes one pause as the chainsaw buzzes away...

Hey!  All it would take is to find people willing to pay money to join me!

Uh, right.  

Maybe if I threw in a Fourth B?

Mango Smoothie?  Guinness Apple Bread?

Anyone?  Anyone?  (Bueller?  Bueller?)  Breakfast?  Anyone? 



Electro-Orange Mango Smoothie

In Blender: 
(Or for more exercise, whip it up yourself, like Gypsy.)

A scoop (20 grams) of protein powder
1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 tsp honey
A shake of salt
8 oz fresh or frozen cubed mango
1 cup OJ
1/2 cup plain yogurt - optional

(If you aren't about to do a lot of sweating you can leave out the vinegar, honey, lemon, and salt.  Those are enhancers for electrolye transport.  Believe me though, if you are sweating buckets, they will taste great!)




2 comments:

  1. Wish I could join you. Don't think i could keep up but it would be fun trying.

    Oh my the life of the cat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think you'd have a bit of trouble!

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...