Thursday, May 29, 2014

National Honesty Day and Faking a (really good!) Chocolate Shake.


Honesty Day is celebrated on April 30 in the United States. It was invented by M. Hirsh Goldberg, who chose the last day of April since the first day of that month, which is April Fools' Day, celebrates falsehoods.  -Wikipedia


Did you know there was a National Honesty Day?  Since the early 90's.  April 30.  
  
One day, though.  That's just silly.  How about complete honesty all month?  Heck, maybe all year!  (Unless you have political aspirations, of course.)

I set a few goals for May.  Not too many.  Just a few.  I wrote them down.  Yes, on paper.

Once down in writing, it is easy to see that the number of goals really doesn't matter.  Or the reasons.  Or for how long.   Because every goal comes back to just one theme - honesty.  A goal is useless if you allow for fooling yourself.

OK, here's an example.  Two of my goals that might seem completely different.  But they are not, not really.

Goal #1)  Catch The Creep.  Log all food. 

Goal #2)  Wickham Park Marathon 

More about those later.  Because, as I sit with my coffee, writing about honesty, Popeye was reading and saw a recipe for a chocolate "shake".   To be honest, I've seen this one before, but avoided it.  That, and all the other fake-treat recipes floating around the Internet, promising to taste just like "the real thing".   Yuck.

Popeye reads the ingredients out loud.  OK, sure, all good stuff.  But I say again.  Yuck!  

Banana, cocoa, honey, avocado, and almond milk.  No almond milk around here but we have cow's milk.  Organic and nonfat, of course. 

I am willing to make it, if Popeye is willing to drink it.  

Although these are good nutrients, this shake is NOT going to be low in calories, so I know going in I will have to give it an honest resistance. 

I figure that won't be hard to do. 




Not bad!  I take a taste of Popeye's, which is as close to the original recipe as we can get with the ingredients in house on a Sunday morning. 

Surprise!  Very chocolaty.  More creamy than shakes made of ice cream.  Honest.

I tweak a second one because I think the first one is actually TOO rich and TOO chocolaty.

Thankfully, after a tablespoon each for taste testing, the ever-hungry Popeye drinks them both.   Saves me from writing some big numbers in my food log.


Sunday Morning Chocolate Shake 

Blend:
1 c. non fat milk 
2 T. cocoa powder
1 banana
1 T. honey
1/2 avocado

A little tweaking helps, in my opinion. 


Second Try Chocolate Shake

Blend:

1 c. nonfat milk
1 T. cocoa powder
1 banana
1 T. honey
1/4 avocado
drop of vanilla extract

Better. 

Just the same, give me ice cream any day.  

Except today.  I really don't want to have to write that down.



2 comments:

  1. Third time to try to post. Anyway, I've tried this minus the avocado so today will shop for avocado and buzz my blender.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am convinced that the avocado is the key ingredient that makes this one so creamy tasting.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...