Saturday, October 6, 2012

Parmesan crispy. Cheddar crispier.

parmesan



cheddar



Craving salty?  Yeah, me too.

At first I thought of melting some cheese on an English muffin or a slice of rye, but then I thought, why bother with bread?  It's the melted cheese I really want.

First time ever making Parmesan crisps.  Took a couple rounds.  Ran out of Parmesan, used up the cheddar, but I think I got it now.  

If you want real instructions, Barefoot Contessa, Giada, and Epicurious, all have super easy, step by steps to follow.

Basically you melt spoonfuls of grated cheese on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, in a moderate oven, say 375.  At about five minutes, turn on the oven light and keep watch.  Take em out when they reach a color that pleases you. 

Larger shavings piled high, make bigger, chewier clumps.

First attempt. 
What not to do if you want delicate.
 
More delicate shavings, finely grated and spread out a bit, make more delicate crisps.

By the time I got that figured out, the Parm was gone.  But it worked exactly the same with some Cabot Seriously Sharp Cheddar.

For that crisp and salty craving...  perfect.

I am going to have to get out for a ride now.  Otherwise there will be no report on how to store them and how long they keep.  They'll be long gone instead.




1 comment:

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...