Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Never Say Diet

"You can't beat the biology of blubber."   - Dr. Oz


Great.  Now there's a name for it. 

The Biology of Blubber. 

It's real too.  I know.  I've had it proven to me often enough.

My body's always taking care of me, even when I'm mean to it.  Anytime I stress it out with starvation or sleep deprivation, it pays me back with some nice, cushy, extra padding.

It's not just me.  Ask anyone who put on the Freshman 10 in college.  (Or gained 20 in the first year as a newly hatched flight attendent.)

Stress, bad food, odd hours, too little exercise.   The biology of blubber strikes again.  And again. 

So what's an XL to do?

If the XL is me?  Nothing.  No diets!  At least not since the yo-yo days of youth.  Some lessons had to be learned more than once.

It seems better to just carry around a few extra pounds rather than get all restrictive, and risk going off the deep end.  I'm long done with that cycle of losing, only to gain even more back.

So I've been a little wary of detox.  Super low-cal is usually a bad thing for reformed yo yo dieters.

But, like so many things that scare me - big drops, for example - a detox attracts me too.  And maybe, just maybe, if it's handled right, the benefits could outweigh the risk. 

Filtering out common allergens for a week or two and infusing your system with super nutrition is an alluring idea. 

We train for mountain biking here with nothing but bridges for mountains.  I trained incessantly for triathlon despite years of Atlanta-based stress and airport food. 

How far could we take our training if we were super-nourished?  Could the Cross Florida feel easy?  Might the Wickham Park Marathon, 50, 100, and 200 Mile Fun Run actually live up to it's name?

Popeye's always on board for super-nutrition.  I've got nothing to lose but blubber.  Just think what we have to gain. 

Hey, no guts, no glory, right?


Kale Smoothie


Publix check out.  Whole Living Magazine.  February issue.  If you miss the magazine, see 

http://www.wholeliving.com/152870/2012-whole-living-action-plan

C'mon, what have you got to lose?


Whole Living Magazine. Ohmygosh, the photos of food are fabulous. I just can't help myself from wanting whatever is on that plate, and sometimes I even want the plate!  Especially when it's one of my niece Michele's incredible ceramic pieces. If you love beautiful table presentation... Or the color blue... http://elephantceramics.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...