Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Turkey Creek. Trail or highway?

  


It's a Tuesday night. 

Mike is riding up ahead.

I can just barely hear him.  I think he's singing.

"Sign, sign everywhere a sign."

Yup, he's singing. 

I join in.  

"Blockin' out the scenery.  Breakin' my mind."

 
 


 

"Do this!  Don't do that!  Can't you read the sign?"


 
 
 
 
At first, I thought
some third graders
were playing a joke.
 
 
I love my mountain bike.  It makes me feel like a kid again.

Not the indoor kid.  Not the kid stuck at the desk farthest from the window on a sunny day.  Not the kid being told to sit still and finish her homework. 
 
Not that kid.  The outdoor kid.  The after-the-bell kid.  Stomping puddles.  Throwing rocks at beehives.  Riding bikes with your friends.  School's out and two hours til supper.  All directions possible.  That kid.
 
Every outdoor kid knows it.  A little risk equals a world of freedom.
 
Freedom teaches you some awesome stuff. 
 
Like common sense - so you don't cause yourself too many bruises. 
 
And common courtesy - so you don't cause too many bruises to others. 
 
Self regulating stuff.  So others don't have to. 
   
Take a few bumps once in a while.  Take care not to bump others.  Let others be in charge of their own bumps.  
 
This is mountain biking.  It is not supposed to be easy.   
 
Or rude.  Or selfish.
  
Choose your own lines.  And leave the rest so that others may choose theirs.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...