Thursday, October 6, 2011

Procrastination Mode

It doesn't take a genius to recognize procrastination mode. 

Boxing up the contents of a house is daunting.  21 years worth of daunting, in this case.  My packing commences with little bursts of humming.  Dory's song, in Finding Nemo.  "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming."  And it works.  For the most part.  

But when I do stray into a bout of packing avoidance, it's a dead heat tie between enticements. 

The computer vs. refrigerator gazing. 

Resisting the call of the refrigerator is tricky but I've done it before.  A few months ago during a bad bout of writing avoidance, I made myself do 10 pushups every time I opened the refrigerator door.  Let's just say, it made me a stronger person.

Today required something quicker and easier than dropping to the unswept floor.  How about downing a full glass of water every time that fridge door opens? 

By afternoon, the sloshing is audible, but the work is on track.  In spite of a few extra trips down the hallway.

In a momentary slip-up involving an email check, I read a note from Just Plain Mike, volunteering moving day labor in exchange for beer.  Awesome.  Thank you!

Back to work.  Just keep swimming. 

In the dining room, I pop open the door to the buffet, and a sudden memory hops out.  So this is where I stashed the excess liquor after the party last Christmas.  

 
I send Mike a quick email.  "Would you consider working for hooch instead?"

The liquor was easily dispatched.  Hey.  Into boxes - what were you thinking?  

But what was that?  There at the bottom of the liquor shelf. 

Something that didn't belong.  

Oh no.   Not that.

I am not ready to face that part of the packing yet. 

Worse than the call of facebook.  More irresistible than checking email.  Even more alluring than leftover Pad Thai...

Oh noooo.  A photo album.

And just like that, the competition for my distraction is blown away.  

Check this out.




The Chick as Annie Oakley.
Maila as...  a pilgrim with a paint palette?  Oh no, Judith Leyster.
(Yes, I had to ask.)
Erin Callan as Sacajawea.
(Montessori, can you tell?)



Sea, Breeze, and the Chick



Whatdayaknow? 
Clean feet.



It's not often you get a black belt on your birthday.
And an assistant.



The Chick, Keeta's backside, and Sea



Way too young for Faye.
Must have been Floyd?


I confess. 
I once used HapKiDo belt test money for a rock climbing trip instead.


When climbing, there are only two kinds of pictures.
From the top...



And from the bottom...

How's that for a surprise end? 

Back to the boxes now.

Just keep swimming.  Just keep swimming.  Just keep... 

  





No comments:

Post a Comment

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...