Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Moab Dreamin' and Dreamin' Up Rides

I'm missing Moab today.

  

We need to go back.




I have unfinished business in Moab.

Slick Rock Trail.   

13 miles of Mars.  Or terrain a lot like it. 

Very steep.  Very difficult.  Very scary.  (And that's just quoting from the guide book.)



Follow the painted line.  That's the trail.  Pictures are deceiving.  Beyond that line, over the edge, is a drop of say, 200 feet.  Those other rocks in the background?  They are a long way off and a long way down.  So.  Follow the painted line.

This is the flat part.  The part where we took pictures.  When gazing up at a steep pitch from behind handlebars, or peering down over an edge somewhere, getting out the camera is the last thing that comes to mind.

Where eagles fly and chickens walk.


Me, walking.  This is why I need to go back. 

(And why it's good to have trustworthy brakes.)

Why am I suddenly thinking about Moab, you ask?

Because I've just been sifting through the bookcase, looking for my favorite guide book of all time.  "Rider Mel's Mountain Bike Guide to Moab".

A GPS is fine and dandy.  But when the spark goes south?  Hardcopy's handy.   

Hardcopy will get you there, no matter how many bars aren't showing, no matter when the Most Amazing Device In The World was last plugged in.

Sand gets into cameras.  Water gets into ziplocs. 

I have fallen on phones.  Dropped them down stairs.  Drown them from kayaks and sprawled in water crossings pocket side down.  Tripped on a root and put my thumb through the screen of my favorite old Nokia.  
  
I have also fallen on Rider Mel's guide book.  It's been dropped on rock with no fuss.  OK, drowning it wasn't a danger, at least not the week we rode in Moab.  But you get the belt-and-suspenders point.

I need a Ride Guide to Florida.

We need a Ride Guide to Florida.

Somebody should write one.  

And if that somebody were to be me, I'd need a little help from my  friends.

So I'm making up a list.  I need to know.

What is your favorite bike ride?  

Doesn't matter what kind.  Road, beach, street, singletrack, safari.  Short, epic, or anywhere in between.  Out of town or out your front door. 

Where are the good rides? 

Because if you like them, I guarantee that a lot of other people will too.  

So, I'm making up a list.  Point the way.

We've got riding to do.     


3 comments:

  1. I'm requesting first signed copy of "Florida Biking trails".

    ReplyDelete
  2. The title will be "We Don't Need No Stinkin' Mountains!" Still want a copy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd like a signed copy also. I can do the graphics stuff - including cover design. As far as favorite rides, there aren't any that you haven't already thought of: Santos, Boyette, Econ, etc.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...