Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Good Guinness! Bike. Eat. Experiment. Repeat.



Ok, just 'cuz I'm trying not to eat so much, doesn't mean I can't write about it!


It all started with this crazy idea to make a sweet syrup from Guinness and molasses...

Which led to Chocolate Walnut Guinness Cookies, Guinness Oatmeal Cookies, Guinness Pound Cake, a couple versions of Guinness Toffee Coffee Cake, even a Guinness Banana Bread (which believe it or not, was really really good!)

Time to let go of the Guinness obsession, you say?  Yes perhaps, but not without one last fling!

The in-laws are coming!  Popeye's parents and his niece and nephew are coming for Easter.

Then it's time for the out-laws.  My big brother and his best Betty are coming the week after that.

Soooo, it's time to stock the freezer with some easy meals to pull out, especially breakfast, a meal I do not like to get up early and prep!

So what'll it be?  Guinness banana bread for sure.  No. Wait.  How about a Guinness Apple Bread with those last couple Ambrosia apples rolling around the bottom of the fridge?  

This is one of Sailor's (best hostess ever) strategies.  Pull the loaf out of the freezer the night before, pair that with a tall fruity protein smoothie and everyone eats happy, while the hostess, happily, needn't rise with the sun.

Having a nice dessert on hand is easy too, maybe another Guinness pound cake - strawberries are still in season. Mmmm.

Guinness Pound Cake


Maybe a Guinness shortcake... oh yeah.

I know what you're thinking.  Guinness in no way goes with fruit!  

But weird as it sounds, somehow it just does.  What can I say?  Try it!  You'll like it!

I am betting today will be a "furlough day" at the bike shop.  I'm gonna experiment with a few things and get back to you, OK?


OK, so the first experiment wasn't food. 

It was a wetsuit. 

A wetsuit ripped neck to behind by an overzealous peeler at last year's Xterra in Miami.  And if last year's race was wetsuit legal, sure as heck, after the winter we've had, this year's race will be! 

My solution at this late date is to cover the ripped wetsuit with a surf shirt to make it aero (and keep it on.)  Ha, let the peelers figure that out!  Racer, peel thyself.

OK, I admit it.  I haven't swum since last October, and the race is Sunday, so "just getting in a quick half mile" might end up as an experiment as well.
It's dark and gloomy out and the water in our own pool is just about 68, so I drive to the insanely monsterous gym at Viera, where there are two pools, and lap lanes available all hours.  The first time I went into the locker room here, honest to god, I got lost.


Hospital?  No.  Library?  No. 
It's the gym.  

A white Jag rounds the corner and nearly runs over my toe as I wait to cross the street so I can get the whole building in the picture.  

The membership comes free with our health plan, and to me this is evidence that good health must pay.  How many hundred prevented coronaries does it take to pay for the most elaborate healthplex in town?  

A half mile and a few extra laps for lagniappe later, I feel I am covered (so to speak) if the water in Biscayne Bay is cold on Sunday. 

The sun is out by the time I am done.  The day just gets better and better!  Home for some baking.


Guinness Apple Bread

1 c. oil
3 eggs
1/2 c. Guinness syrup 
(For syrup, see "Chocolate Walnut Guinness Cookies", February)
1/2 c. brown sugar
1 c. sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 c. apples, diced
3 c. flour (1/3 part spelt, or whole wheat, if you like)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 c. nuts, cranberries, or whatever else you like in a breakfast bread

  
Mix the oil, sugars, syrup, eggs and vanilla.  Stir in the dry ingredients, just until mixed.  Then fold in the apples and nuts. 

Divide into two greased loaf pans, sprinkle with sugar.  (Just the batter smells fantastic!)

Bake for 1 1/2 hours at 300 degrees.  Test for doneness.

Or if you are impatient like me, and don't mind a browner crust, bake 50-55 minutes at 350 degrees.  

Guinness Apple Bread




Next up: 
Guinness Strawberry Shortcake

Slice up some beautiful Plant City Strawberries, stir in a few tablespoons sugar, and pop into the fridge until juicy.

Then make Guinness Pound Cake:

2/3 c. butter
1 c. sugar
1/2 c. Guinness Syrup
(For syrup, see "Chocolate Walnut Guinness Cookies", February)
2 eggs
2 c. flour (part spelt or whole wheat, if you like)
3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp. salt
2/3 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla

Cream butter, sugar, eggs and vanilla.

Add dry ingredients, mix until wet.

Stir in milk.

If you like a loaf shape, use one greased loaf pan.  Bake at 325 degrees 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours.  Test for doneness.

Again, I am impatient.  I pour the batter into two round layer cake pans and bake for 30 minutes at 350.


Get out the berries, cut up the cake.  From here, it's just like Mom used to make.


(Only a lot more whipped cream, of course.)


And on to the day's final experiment.  The Tuesday Ride with the big dogs down in Palm Bay. 

OK so I haven't had a Tuesday off during daylight savings in about five years... but you know. 

That's why they call 'em experiments!

1 comment:

  1. Wow I wanted to reach out and grab a piece of the apple bread! It all looks so delicious. I'm waiting for the Guinness Ice Cream......uh we could drink it.....or put it in a smoothie.

    Now to the Dr. Nancy comments on the Today Show regarding the "one hour a day exercise" and your thoughts. I couldn't have said it better. What a turn off she was. Anything is possible if you have the desire. A little encouragement is nice and she just blew it out the window. Go for an hour and who knows you might like it so much you'll go for a second. Well guess that's easier said than done but anything is possible. Try it.

    ReplyDelete

I am a cockroach of the road.

Ok, I just like saying it.   I am a cockroach of the road. A year or two ago an Austrailian study came out where over 50% of drivers sai...